Brewlands Lodge, Brewlands Estate
Glenisla, Perthshire, Scotland
Historic monastic Brewlands Estate was a favourite of Queen Victoria. Close to the Queen’s and Queen Mother’s Balmoral and Glamis Castles, there is a huge variety of habitats on the estate, resulting in outstanding wildlife viewing and country sports. At Brewlands Lodge we provide a full concierge service and daily housekeeping and can arrange transport and walks, guided tours of Edinburgh or the Highlands, tastings of rare whiskies with the CEO of a famous distillery, your own personal bagpiper or your own private Highland Games; whatever you would like to make your holiday truly memorable.
Best of all, this is a place to find peace and focus on wellness: there is such a profusion of wildflowers that part of the glen is a wildflower reserve and there are beautiful, rare lichens on our trees that grow only in unpolluted places. For 300 years the monks tended their cattle at Brewlands, put their beehives on the flowering heather and brewed ale from the pure springs which still feed the house today. The estate is so famous for its wild raspberries that the National Botanic Gardens at Kew collected seeds recently from within 200 metres of the house and have stored them in the World Seed Bank, located in an ice cave in Svalbard in Arctic Norway.
One of Brewlands Lodge’s great advantages is its central position within Scotland, 6 minutes’ drive from the Cairngorm National Park, enjoying the best of Highland scenery and easy access to Loch Ness, the islands and the highest mountains and yet with 30 golf courses (including St Andrews), exceptional restaurants, fantastic gourmet and artisan food and cashmere shopping, Perth and Pitlochry theatres and many of Scotland’s most famous distilleries within 75 minutes’ drive and the World Heritage Sites of Edinburgh with its renowned Edinburgh International Festival, the National Galleries of Scotland and other fascinating sights, within 90 minutes.
In spring, the lengthening days are filled with birdsong as the rare migrants return. Thousands of daffodils are followed by native bluebells, wild violets, and hillsides covered with foxgloves. Cast your line for the spring run of salmon. In May and June the rhododendrons are in full bloom and we experience glorious lingering twilights when it is perfectly possible to read a newspaper at 11 pm. These long days of sun are ideal conditions for the locally grown cherries, strawberries and raspberries. Summer turns the heather hills purple: get up at dawn to stalk or let us arrange a picnic complete with tartan rugs overlooking “Pol Gorm” (in Gaelic “the water which reflects the sky”). During the autumn and winter, our shooting is at its very best and there is a good chance of seeing the Northern Lights. In January and February, the most extensive skiing in Scotland is available in the mountains nearby. Brewlands Lodge is an ideal holiday house throughout the year!
- Sleeps – 2- 16
- Bedrooms – 8 (2 super king, 3 super king/twin, 2 double, 1 twin)
- Bathrooms – 6 (5 ensuite)
- Full concierge service
- Wood burning stove
- Gas central heating
- Private hot tub in the garden
- Tennis court by arrangement
- Free Wi-Fi
- Babysitting/shopping/laundry available
- Masseuse and beautician by arrangement
- Domestic help every morning for 2 hours
- Off road parking
- Partial or full catering to any level (including freezer cooking) using organic ingredients by our estate chef by arrangement
- Drop off and collection from airports, stations and walks can be arranged.
- Good pub 5 minutes, lots of good restaurants in the area
- Barbeque, garden furniture
- Revolving summerhouse
- Masseuse and beauty therapist
- Electric blankets
- Friday to Friday rentals
- Collection from airport/station/walks
- Sorry – no smoking or vaping
- 1 dog with prior permission may be housed in the external drying room or with our Head Keeper
- Sorry no pets in the house
- Books, toys, games, including outdoor and DVDs
- Cot & highchair
- Spring water supply
- Enclosed large garden
- Stair gate
- 2 Fridges
- 2 Freezers
- Ice maker
- 2 hobs, 6 gas rings, 4 electric rings
- 4 electric ovens
- 2 dishwashers
- Wine cooler
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- Drying room for 16
- Staff cottage for 4 (1 king size/twin, 1 twin bedroom, 2 bathrooms, 1 ensuite) available by arrangement
- Shops – good community shop 15 minutes in Kirkmichael, 25 minutes Alyth (good butcher), 30 minutes Blairgowrie – Tesco, Sainsburys and fish shop and farm shops. Pitlochry and House of Bruar gourmet and artisan food, restaurants, cashmere and tartan shopping.
- Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda and Majestic Wine deliver to the house
- Bagpiper for special occasions
- Fishing rod hire and tuition
- Fishing for wild brown trout on the River Isla included in the rent
- Falconry demonstrations
- Wildlife safari and photography tours on the estate
- Pheasant, duck, partridge & grouse shooting on the estate
- Clay pigeon shooting on the estate
- Roe and red deer stalking on the estate
- Golf - 30 courses within 1.5 hours including the championship courses at St Andrews and Gleneagles
- Mountain and road bike hire with very quiet roads and excellent tracks
- Off roading and adventure centre nearby
- Pony trekking and riding nearby
- Ski hire and skiing at Glenshee – 35 minutes – we can book lessons and arrange ski hire
- Table football
- Table tennis
- EV charging possible
- Walks – beautiful ones from the door or further afield to any level
- Excellent hill walking – guided hill walks. 12 Munros within one hour
- The long distance Cateran walking trail passes through the estate
- Discounts for 8 or fewer than 8 people using 4 bedrooms or less may be available off season
- Private Highland Games with a Heavyweight Games champion
- Private whisky tastings of rare and specialist whiskies with the CEO of a famous distillery, a specialty of this house. Our chef can arrange a special menu of the finest Scottish organic produce to go with the whiskies
- Private recital/come and try session with a world champion piper
- Our chef can make a traditional Burns Supper in which the piper plays an integral part.
Brewlands Lodge is beautifully furnished and comes with housekeeping, enabling you to relax and enjoy being looked after. The little extras of fluffy towels, electric blankets, extra-long beds, power showers and floor to ceiling heated towel rails show the level of attention to personal comfort. This is one of the finest large holiday houses in Scotland where you could spend an idyllic time: with so many things to do on the Estate, many people don't leave it at all during their holiday!
The large drawing room is furnished with beautiful antique furniture, deep sofas and a wood burning stove. The library is clad in family tartan and is an inspirational place to sit and read or for children to settle down to watch a film. The dining room is wonderful for entertaining, and the large kitchen is very well equipped with a separate large utility room beyond it. From here, a door leads to the purpose-built drying room with wellies for guests and the hot tub. There is also a downstairs WC & cloakroom.
Fully fitted kitchen with: 6 gas rings, 4 electric rings and 4 electric ovens, microwave, , 2 dishwashers, 2 freezers, 2 fridges, wine cooler, ice maker, washing machine and tumble dryer.
Revolving summerhouse, garden furniture and barbeque.
90 minutes Edinburgh International Airport
2 hours Glasgow International Airport
40 minutes Dundee Airport for London City
Pitlochry Station – 35 minutes
Perth Station – 50 minutes
Both stations have connections, including sleepers, to the rest of the UK
The owners can arrange for you to be met at stations and airports
Car hire available
All bed linen, towels and one basket of logs per day are included
Fishing for wild brown trout on the River Isla included in the rent
Domestic help for two hours daily
Private hot tub
Tennis court free by arrangement
The first £40 of fuel is included in the rent
To cut down on your shopping, we provide soap, tea towels, oven gloves, cling film, apron, foil, bin bags, loo rolls, washing up liquid and essential cleaning materials and other helpful touches to start your holiday off, or we can shop by arrangement for anything else you would like.
What's not included:
Gas and electricity are charged at the metered rate.
One well behaved dog £35 – sorry absolutely no dogs in the house.
The house may be taken self-catered, partial or fully catered. We can supply other extra staff as required. For catering or staff rates please e-mail us with your requirements. There is a staff cottage available nearby (1 twin ensuite, 1 super king/twin ensuite).
Cost and availability:
The house is rented out year round.
Rental periods are Friday to Friday; arrival 4 pm and departure at 10 am.
Short breaks welcome
To book this luxury large holiday house in Scotland, click the enquiry button below and see availability and prices.
direct to the owner
Brewlands Lodge, Glenisla, Perthshire, Scotland