Croftend Cottage, Brewlands Estate, Glenisla, Perthshire
Only 90 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh, this sunny 15th century cottage with private hot tub secluded behind ancient double hedges in the centre of a Highland estate, 5 minutes’ drive from the Cairngorm National Park, is such a romantic yet fabulously comfortable place that it is perfect for explorers, lovers and honeymooners. It has stunning views of mountains up to 2500 feet and there are a huge number of activities available. For 300 years Cistercian monks spent half of each year at this peaceful place, making butter and cheese and brewing beer from the pure springs that continue to feed the cottage. From bed, one can see the heather hill where the monks put their hives, and from where we still get honey today. The cottage sits between two ancient wildflower meadows; unploughed, unimproved, and protected, full of rare wild yellow violets and orchids. Red squirrels live around the garden and the walls support rare ferns and lichens which grow only in unpolluted places. The National Botanical Gardens at Kew chose the field beside Croftend from which to take wild raspberry seeds for the world seed bank in an ice cave in Svalbard.
Croftend has been sympathetically restored, retaining the enormous medieval fireplace (pot hooks intact) with a wood burning stove, original wood panelled walls and ceiling, solid oak floor, granite worktops, emperor bed with ensuite power shower and of course, bathrobes and every modern convenience. You can arrange to fish on the river, hire mountain bikes, or relax in the hot tub while the estate’s chef prepares a romantic dinner, or, in winter, skis can be booked and a guide or lessons arranged at Glenshee ski slopes, 35 minutes from the house. There is excellent pub grub 5 minutes away and lots of good restaurants in the area. We provide a full concierge service so why not let us do your shopping, provide surprise champagne and chocolates – or a romantic meal, (cheese scones and wicked puddings a specialty), - bring mountain bikes to the door, or take you on a wildlife photography safari on the estate.
In summer barbeque on the south facing terrace, climb a Munro (12 within 1 hour), walk the long distance Cateran Trail which winds through the Estate, or take a trip to Pitlochry and House of Bruar with their tartan makers, summer theatre and cashmere, artisan and gourmet food shopping. Alternatively, visit a whisky distillery, or just wander north up the river to picnic in a place beloved by Queen Victoria, where the Highland ponies like to come to cool down on hot days.
The house is the place to find peace and utter tranquillity for your holiday in the Scottish Highlands yet there are many adventures and places to see both on and off the estate. There is outstanding wildlife viewing (this is a hot spot for rare red squirrels and a huge variety of habitats in the area attract many different species of birds), clay pigeon and other shooting and sporting activities along with whisky distillery tours, adventure centres, on and off-road cycling. Championship golf courses such as St Andrews and Gleneagles (home of the Ryder Cup) are within easy reach. The Queen’s castle at Balmoral and the Queen Mother’s at Glamis are fascinating, as is the new V & A Museum and Scott of the Antarctic’s ship. We know where the best places are and as we provide a full concierge service, we will do all we can to make your holiday perfect. We can also keep secrets, so why not ask us to provide surprise champagne and chocolates for your partner?
- Sleeps 2 – 4 (different prices in low season)
- Bedrooms – 2 (1 super king size, 1 super king/twin)
- Bathrooms – 2 ensuite
- Private hot tub in the garden with romantic lighting
- Ideal honeymoon cottage
- 2 well behaved dogs welcome
- Woodburning stove
- Oil central heating
- Off road parking
- Free Wi-Fi
- 2 TVs/DVD
- LED lights on dimmers
- Cooking of any kind by arrangement. Organic meals a specialty.
- Full concierge service
- Barbeque, garden furniture
- Double oven
- Fridge freezer
- Washing machine/tumble dryer
- Sun porch
- Spring water supply
- Sitting room with books, toys and games
- Short breaks available low season
- Masseuse and beauty therapist
- Drop off and collection from stations, airports and walks can be arranged
- Electric blankets
- Large enclosed dog-friendly garden
- Cot, highchair etc available
- Sorry, no smoking or vaping
- Good pub 5 minutes, lots of good restaurants in the area
- Easy walking access – all on one level
- Edinburgh Airport – 90 mins drive
- Glasgow Airport – 2 hours' drive
- Shops – good community shop 15 minutes in Kirkmichael, 25 minutes Alyth (good butcher), 30 minutes Blairgowrie – Tesco, Sainsburys and fish shop and farm shops. Pitlochry and House of Bruar gourmet and artisan food, restaurants, cashmere and tartan shopping.
- Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda and Majestic Wine deliver
- Bagpiper for special occasions
- Fishing/rod hire and tuition
- Falconry demonstrations
- Pheasant duck, partridge & grouse shooting
- Clay pigeon shooting on the estate
- Wildlife and photo safaris on the estate
- Roe and red deer stalking
- Golf– 30 courses within an hour: championship courses within 75 minutes
- Mountain and road bike hire with very quiet roads and excellent local tracks
- Off roading and adventure centre nearby
- Ski hire and skiing at Glenshee – 35 minutes
- Beautiful walks to all levels from the door or further afield
- Excellent hill walking. 12 Munros within one hour
- The long distance Cateran trail passes through the estate address
- Private Highland Games with a heavyweight champion
- Private whisky tastings with the CEO of a famous distillery
- Fishing for wild brown trout on the River Isla included in the rent
The accommodation in this gorgeous cottage is all on one level. The kitchen, dining and sitting areas are open plan, with led lights on dimmers. The kitchen is very well equipped, with granite worktops. There is a wood burning stove in a huge medieval fireplace, a deep sofa with plenty of cushions, and lots of books, local maps and guides. Through the south-facing, wood panelled, oak floored sun porch, the sitting room has another TV and lots of games and books.
The master bedroom is large and very sunny with a huge extra-long bed, Victorian cast iron fireplace and a wood panelled ensuite bathroom with a large power shower and floor to ceiling heated towel rail. The twin/super king bedroom has an ensuite shower and floor to ceiling heated towel rail.
The secret half acre garden with private, secure, hot tub, is fully enclosed with lawns full of daffodils, bluebells and wildflowers, a huge maple tree and old apple trees with clematis and rambling roses growing through them. There is parking space for 2 cars.
90 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh International Airport, 2 hours from Glasgow International Airport and 40 minutes from Dundee Airport (to London City).
Pitlochry station is 30 minutes and Perth station 50 minutes. Both stations have connections, including sleepers, to the rest of the UK. Arrangements can be made for you to be met at stations and airports.
Egyptian cotton bed linen, bathrobes and towels are included. First basket of logs free, thereafter available at cost.
First £40 of any kind of fuel included
To cut down on your shopping, we provide soap, tea towels, oven gloves, cling film, apron, foil, bin bags, loo rolls, washing up liquid and essential cleaning materials and other helpful touches to start your holiday off.
What's not included:
Electricity and oil are charged by meter reading
Two well-behaved dogs welcome. £35 per dog
Also available: a cook, a personal piper, romantic presents like champagne or chocolates on arrival, home-baked afternoon tea on arrival – simply request whatever you would like with your reservation.
Cost and availability:
Croftend Cottage is available for rent all year round.
Changeover is usually on Saturday, arrival 4 pm and departure 10 am.
2 well behaved dogs welcome. £35 per dog.
The prices are for self catering. Partially or fully catered prices POA.
Full concierge service free.
Discounts will be available for 2 people in the low season.
To book this romantic cottage with a hot tub on a Highland Perthshire estate, click the enquiry button below and see availability and pricing.
direct to the owner
Croftend Cottage, Brewlands Estate, Glenisla, Perthshire, PH11 8PL Scotland