Pinegrove Cottage is located at the heart of highland Perthshire, close to the magnificent River Tay. The ever changing palate of the surrounding hills, lochs and woodland are a magnet for artists, walkers, nature lovers and thrill seekers alike.
The area is renowned for its spectacular scenery. From your doorstep there are many wonderful walks at high and low level and cyclists will enjoy the variety of routes both on and off road. You can visit one of the area's many castles or a wander around the historic cathedral town of Dunkeld with its range of antique shops, galleries and cafes. With one of the best trout and salmon rivers in Scotland on your doorstep perhaps a cast is the way to really unwind!
Nature lovers can admire swooping ospreys at Loch of the Lowes or marvel at the waterfalls, rapids and swirling pools of the River Braan which provides the best opportunity to observe leaping salmon as they attempt their autumn migration. Explore the native woodland, interlaced with paths. Look out for the some of the tallest trees in Britain, for red squirrels and woodpeckers.
The town of Dunkeld with its pretty whitewashed cottages and medieval cathedral plays host to a variety of festivals and events. The area is a centre for artistic and musical talent. There are regular live sessions at both the acclaimed Taybank Bar and the popular Birnam Institute - you may even chance upon a ceilidh. The Birnam Institute also offers theatre, dance and comedy from top UK performers. Children are well catered for with two beautifully situated parks. There is a 'Paint Your Own Pottery', Beatrix Potter Museum, the Active Kids Adventure Park at Stanley and two local swimming pools/spas.
Pitlochry, Aberfeldy, Kenmore and the outdoor leisure activities on offer at Loch Tay are all within easy reach. The more adventurous may wish to get the adrenaline flowing by sampling one of the many exciting offerings available including white water rafting, canyoning, cliff jumping or quad biking. The Glenshee Ski Centre (around 1 hour's drive) offers the most extensive ski area in Scotland with three cafes, ski hire and two ski schools. Mountain skills courses are also run throughout the year.
For golf enthusiasts Perthshire has a range of courses including Pitochry, Rosemount and Gleneagles. Dunkeld Golf Course has a beautiful setting - even if you don't play you can have a good lunch and enjoy the scenery. St Andrews and Carnoustie are both approximately 1hrs drive away.
For those who just want to relax, you can take a leisurely stroll by the river or return to the welcoming cottage, select a good book from the library, help yourself to a complimentary drink and curl up in front of the stove.
- Sleeps - 4 +1
- Bedrooms - 2 (1 double, 1 twin)
- Single futon and travel cot also available
- Bathrooms - 1 bathroom / 1 en suite shower
- Washing machine
- Gas hob, electric oven, large fridge freezer
- Traditional style stove
- Central heating throughout
- Freeview TV / Blu-ray DVD
- CD player / Dab radios / iPod docking stations
- Wide selection of DVDs, CDs and books
- Toys, games and children's books
- Welcome pack including local fare, wine, whisky
- Hair dryer, iron, ironing board
- Binoculars, picnic blanket and flask
- Local guides and maps
- Patio table and chairs
- Drying green
- Parking for 2 cars
- Pets by arrangement
- Short breaks by arrangement
- 4 star Scottish Tourist board rating
- Located in Birnam, Dunkeld; Perth 20 mins, Pitlochry 20 mins
- Airports - Dundee 45 mins, Edinburgh 1 hr 15 mins, Glasgow 1 hr 30 mins
- Dunkeld Station - 5 mins walk
- Excellent choice of pubs and restaurants
- Golf courses at Dunkeld, Rosemount, Gleneagles and many more - St Andrews and Carnoustie c1 hour's drive
- Walks - remote highland or gentle woodland and riverside walks from doorstep
- Cycling - excellent on and off road routes from doorstep
- Wildlife watching
- Superb salmon and trout fishing
- Highland Safaris
- White water rafting, canyoning, bungee and cliff jumping
- Sailing and other water sports on Loch Tay
- Horse riding and pony trekking
- Skiing (1 hour drive)
- Cairngorm National Park and Royal Deeside just over 1 hrs drive
- Local swimming /spa facilities - short walk
- Dunkeld Cathedral, Blair Castle, Glamis Castle, Scone Palace, Pictish and Roman settlements
- Galleries, cafes, antique and craft shops
- Arts centre for theatre, music, comedy and dance
- Perth Concert Hall and Pitlochry Theatre 20min drive
- Ceilidhs and traditional music
- Beatrix Potter Museum, café and gardens, a few mins walk
Pinegrove Cottage is the ideal haven for a romantic break or the perfect base for a more active family holiday. Traditionally built, the cottage has recently been refurbished and the clever use of pretty fabrics and stylish furniture has created wonderful holiday accommodation that has a real country cottage feel. It is fresh and bright whilst retaining character and charm.
The entrance hallway has coat hooks and a stone floor for muddy boots and outdoor clutter. Upstairs two delightful bedrooms, one of which is en suite, are inviting and restful and offer lots of drawer and hanging space.
Downstairs, the living room with its wonderful stove set into an exposed stone fire surround provides an extremely comfortable room, great for relaxing in after a day of exploring. There is Freeview TV, a Blu-ray DVD player, a CD/Dab radio with iPod docking station and a great selection of DVDs and books. The country kitchen is well equipped and stylish with an intimate dining area ideal for a leisurely evening. There is a radio/CD player with iPod input and wall mounted speakers. The downstairs bathroom is spacious and modern with a heated towel rail.
On arrival at Pinegrove you'll be greeted with a complimentary selection of local fare including a bottle of award winning wine (plus a little taster of whisky!). Also provided is a welcome pack with details of the best local walks, restaurants and other local highlights including some hidden gems.
From the south: At Perth take the A9 towards Inverness. Travel around 12 miles and take the right turn off to Birnam and Dunkeld.
From the north: From Pitlochry take the A9 towards Perth. After around 12 miles take the first turn (left) marked Birnam and Dunkeld.
Directions to the cottage are included in the pre-arrival information pack.
All gas and electricity are included in the rental price.
Luxury white bed linen, fluffy bath towels, hand towels and bath mats are provided.
Initial supplies of loo roll, bin bags, eco-friendly dishwasher tablets and washing up liquid and luxury hand soap.
Welcome pack including local fare, award winning local wine, whisky and a selection of organic and herbal teas and coffee.
Cost and availability:
Pinegrove Cottage is available for rent throughout the year.
Change over day is normally Saturday with entry at 4pm and check out by 11am.
Short breaks available.
Pets by arrangement.
To book this gorgeous self catering cottage in Birnam, Dunkeld, click the
enquiry button below and see availability and prices.
Pinegrove Cottage, Birnam, Dunkeld, Perthshire PH8 0DR Scotland